Skip to Main Content

Adult Adoption (GL - 3021)

PLEASE NOTE:   This Guideline is provided as a public service and is not intended to be legal advice. If you have any questions about the form or the procedure, please contact an attorney as Probate staff members cannot give legal advice.

To Open an Adult Adoption Proceeding

Please file the following:

Form Number Name of Form
Form Number Name of Form
JC-1645 Petition for Adoption (one original, signed and notarized)

Note:  The Petition must be filed in the County where the Petitioner resides.  


  1. Both the Petitioner and the adult to be adopted must attend the hearing.
  2. On the hearing date, please bring a check for $32 payable to the State Registrar of Vital Statistics for the birth certificate (Wisconsin born only).  If you wish more than one copy, please include $3.00 for each additional copy. Probate staff will submit the Report of Adoption and your check to the State Registrar for anyone born in the State of Wisconsin.


Form Number Name of Form
Form Number Name of Form
JC-1646 Consent to Adoption (signed by spouse of petitioner)
JC-1646 Consent to Adoption (signed by person being adopted)
JC-1647 Order for Adoption
HCF-5022 (not available on website) Report of Adoption (statistical form necessary to obtain Wisconsin birth certificates)

Note: Probate personnel will return the Report of Adoption and a certified copy of the Order for Adoption to the adoptive parents after the hearing so that naturalization proceedings can be initiated and a Wisconsin birth certificate can be obtained.


A packet of forms is available from the Register in Probate for $10.00.

You may also access the above forms on the internet at via the link below. Access the forms directory and print the form number needed as shown above, (example: PR-1850.pdf). A “fillable” form is also available as PR-1850.doc. A form summary is also available as PR-1850s.pdf.